Monday, October 09, 2006

Tiling is Complete, A's finally Sweep

This weekend was a very fulfilling weekend. The Oakland A's actually managed to get past the first round of the playoffs, and not only that, but they swept the Twinkies. Sorry to all of you in Minnesota, but it just wasn't your year and the A's are better. Also, I actually managed to finish the tile on our house. Now that I look back it was fun to learn how to do it, but I don't know if I ever want to do that big of a job again. The total floor space that I covered is about 300 square feet. It took me 19.6153846 boxes of tile (13, 13"X13" tiles per box) and two 25 pound bags of grout to complete the job. I thank Colton's grandparents (Kathy and Wayne) for the use of their tiling tools (mostly the wet saw). I also thank all the other people that having given me tid-bits of information or directed me towards people that could give me that information. I grouted in two chunks. One chunk I did on Friday afternoon by myself; I had to get this section done, we could hang the cabinets on Saturday. The other chunk I did Sunday afternoon with Heather. If anyone is going to lay tile, do it with two people. It went so much quicker and it was so much easier with Heather helping, besides, I got to look at something beautiful the entire time she was helping. I do still have to seal the grout, but that is not a very hard job.
Saturday was probably one of the most exciting days we have had. Mike and Anne came up to help me hang the cabinets. I can not believe the deference it made. Mike was such a good help and it seriously looks like something you see out of a kitchen magazine. The best part about the whole thing is that we no longer have to go out to the garage to get the milk; we now have kitchen appliances IN the kitchen. It is even weird to think that we can go and buy dishes, put them in our cabinets, put food on or in them that was cooked with our oven, and then clean them in our dishwasher. We should have our countertops to eat this food on in about two weeks.
My next project is to finish sealing the grout and then move my focus back up stairs to our office. Our office needs the carpet removed and the walls painted and it should be in pretty good shape. I don't know if Heather is seeing it yet, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know many girls that could go through all of this, but Heather is one of them. She has been so patient and helpful with all of the design I can not thank her enough. She is truly wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete,

This is the first I have seen of your blog. I'm usually out of the loop on these things. I just had to correct one of your statements...you're dreaming if you think the A's were better than the Twins. The house looks great!

Later Bro,
Ryan

Anonymous said...

hi guys, this is nana lipp here on cape cod. your mom gave me your site and enjoyed looking at all the stuff you have done to your home. colton is a doll, but dont tell him that, you guys look like a beautiful family. God Bless you and good luck to you. Love you guys very much. nana and papa lipp.